Wednesday, February 13, 2013

It's Our Christian Duty to LOVE!


So…whew, what a couple of days!

When I first got that text from my best friend Brooke telling me to check the news about Sullivan, I had no idea that it would turn into what it’s become.

Right now, the Facebook page “Support the Sullivan High School Prom for All Students” has nearly 25,000 Likes.  And I’m sure it will reach and surpass that by the time this blog is written and posted.  I’m not sure that many people have ever even known Sullivan, Indiana existed.

Then all this stuff with my mom taking the brunt of the attacks on the church, school and community…I’m honestly still trying to process it all. 

I do want to say a huge THANK YOU!! to everyone who called, emailed, or faxed my mom.  She said she's received a lot nice things, and her spirits are lifted!  


I also want to say thank you to Dan Savage for updating his blog and apologizing.  The fact that he even took the time to do this for someone he doesn't even know helps restore my faith in humanity!

So sincerely, from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU! LOVE WINS!


On another good note, the views of my blog are skyrocketing! ;) As of right now, 307 people have read my last post!  (Normally it’s between 25-50).  That’s pretty freaking cool. J

I’ve been thinking a lot the past few days about how I want to respond to all that’s going on in Sullivan right now (other than encouraging people to stop hating on my momma!).  Part of me feels I should just stay out of it, but then again since I am trying to pursue a career in this blogging business, it’s kind of my duty to give my say.  

Especially since I contribute such a unique voice to the conversation.  


I was raised in Sullivan, Indiana in the very church that was in that video.  Growing up, I remember feeling nothing but love when I was there.  Everyone was friendly and greeted those they saw with smiles and open hearts.  It hurts my heart that a place I remember being filled with so much love is now being connected with so much hate.

I’m thankful for the updated news reports and articles that show that neither the high school nor the church agree with or encourage what this group is doing.

In the gay rights movement, there are a lot of strong opinions.  Through the story of what’s happened in Sullivan and with my mom, we’ve seen that hate is still being expressed - on both sides.  

It’s time to come together and rise above the hate.  


Regardless of whether you are Christian who is for gay rights or against gay rights, it’s important to remember that all Christians are called to love.  It was the second commandment Jesus gave to us.  “A man shall not lie with a man as he lies with a woman” etc. etc. never came out of Jesus’s mouth.  In fact, Jesus himself never says anything directly condemning homosexuality. 

What Jesus himself did say, was a lot about love.
 

Would you feel loved if someone refused to be in your presence because of your beliefs?  

Would you feel loved if someone told you that loving the person you chose “offends” them?  

I suppose everyone has a right to feel what they feel and believe what they believe, but let me ask the often pondered question: What would Jesus do?

The Jesus I remember dined with the Pharisees and tax collectors.  He befriended known prostitutes, and he lounged with lepers.  

He spent time with all the people that nobody else wanted to spend time with.


That Diana Medley would use Christianity as her excuse for this behavior shows me that she does not fully understand this Christ that she claims to follow.  As a follower of Jesus’s teachings, I’m dismayed that she would do anything but greet these gay students of hers with open, loving arms.  

Refusing to go to a dance because your gay students are going to be there is not showing them that you "care about them".  You telling them you think they’re “offensive” is just down right mean.  And Jesus would never do something like that.

We have to accept the fact that in this day and age, we’re going to have to interact with people we don’t understand – people who live completely different lives than us.  


And that’s ok!  You don’t understand homosexuality?  Well whatever, who cares.  I don’t understand how you don’t understand homosexuality, but I’m not going to love you any less for it. 

That’s the beauty of being able to live on this earth and experience all we do here!  Lean into the discomfort and have faith that as long as you’re loving, you’re doing the right thing!


Jesus tells us, “the kingdom of God is within you” (Luke 17:21).  So take a moment, breathe, and meditate on that.  

Follow your heart and LOVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment