Saturday, June 16, 2012

Game of Thrones

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d8/Game_of_Thrones_title_card.jpg/250px-Game_of_Thrones_title_card.jpg

This show has completely consumed all my free time over the past 8 days.  We finished the first season in less than a week and then episodes of the second season magically appeared on Dustin's computer.  (Thank you, internet gods...)

If this is what being a Lord of the Rings geek feels like, then I guess I've been missing out.

Not only is this show wonderfully done cinematically speaking, the storytelling is spectacular.  I'm in love with the vernacular and rhetoric and the way the characters tell each other off so subtly.  I find myself prancing around speaking in accents and calling Dustin "My Lord" after watching the series for a few hours. ;)

Of course, now I want to read all of the books.  I'm sure I'll love them even more, as I normally favor the original novels over the film or TV adaptations.  (Hunger Games was quite a disappointment...)  Have any of you read the books?  What is your opinion?  From what I can tell from the reviews I've read, the show seems to do the books justice.

Oh, and one last thing.  I'm not a modest person by any means.  I've very comfortable with the human body and sexuality.  But my goodness.  I've never blushed in front of my husband so much...

Quote from author of the novels, George R.R. Martin, on the above-mentioned topic: "I get letters about that fairly regularly.  It's a uniquely American prudishness.  You can write the most detailed, vivid description of an ax entering a skull, and nobody will say a word in protest.  But if you write a similarly detailed description of a penis entering a vagina, you get letters from people saying they'll never read you again.  What the hell?  Penises entering vaginas bring a lot more joy into the world than axes entering skulls."

No comments:

Post a Comment